The Philippines is prone to typhoons, earthquakes, and other natural disasters due to its geographic location, which often result to countless human deaths and property losses.
With this situation, along with the ongoing pandemic, typhoon preparation has become more challenging, with physical distance and other preventive measures being done to limit the spread of Covid-19. To help you with that, Trinity prepared this article, compiled from several sources to provide you some tips on how to prepare for a typhoon during this trying times.
Monitor weather updates from reputable news sources on radio, television, and the internet.
News programs on free radio and television and reputable news websites are constantly updating the public about the weather situation in affected parts of the country. Make sure to check out these programs to be apprised of the latest storm signals.
Inspect your home, office and/or business warehouse and check for damage that needs to be repaired.
An annual inspection of the structural integrity of your home/office building helps in identifying the parts that you need to get repaired. This includes checking the roof if there are any leaks and if it is secured in place. You may also want to check the drainage around your space to make sure that these are not clogged, to prevent flooding.
Prepare a 'go bag' or a disaster kit.
A disaster kit or a “go bag” contains important items like ready-to-eat food packs, water, clothes, and sanitation supplies, as well as flashlights, face masks, face shields and medicine, particularly those that can help you from contracting the virus, such as Vitamin C and Zinc. This disaster kit can save you some time if you need to evacuate your community immediately.
Save emergency hotlines on your mobile phone.
During typhoons or floods, the following government agencies can be contacted:
- National Emergency Hotline (911)
- Philippine National Police
- Bureau of Fire Protection
- Red Cross
- National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC)
- Coast Guard
Please keep in mind that the hotline numbers for these organizations may vary depending on your location. Also, most barangays post their emergency hotlines on their social media pages, and even on the walls of some barangay halls. Remember to save these numbers on your mobile phone to make sure that you can contact them in case of flooding.
Know designated evacuation sites in your barangay.
Community leaders in most barangays have prepared evacuation plans and designated places where people affected by typhoons can take shelter. Identify these places and plan how you and your family can get to those evacuation centers quickly and efficiently if needed.
Since we are still experiencing the dreadful effects of the pandemic, it is important to remember BIDA, which stands for:
- Bawal ang walang face mask (Don't go out without a face mask)
- I-sanitize ang kamay at umiwas sa paghawak sa mga bagay (Sanitize your hands and avoid touching surfaces)
- Dumistansya nang isang metro (Observe one-meter physical distancing)
- Alamin ang totoong impormasyon (Check out verified sources of information)
Insure your assets.
A strong typhoon can cause extensive damage to your assets that are financially devastating to repair. Purchasing asset insurance is a sensible investment because it can help you overcome your losses from a very daunting situation. With the following insurance, Trinity may be able to assist you in protecting your assets:
- Motorcar Insurance. An insurance that provides full protection for all damages and losses to the insured vehicle, including liabilities that may be incurred for its use. To inquire, please visit: https://trinity-insures.com/collections/general-insurance/products/motocar-insurance.
- Property Fire Insurance. An insurance that provides comprehensive protection for properties and assets against loss or damage caused by fire or lightning and can be extended to cover earthquake, typhoon, flood, other insurable perils, and loss of income from the insured perils. To inquire, please visit: https://trinity-insures.com/collections/general-insurance/products/property-fire-insurance