According to, a fire can become life-threatening in two minutes and engulf a home in flames in five minutes. To develop an effective prevention strategy, it is necessary to first understand how dangerous fire is. Here are some points to remember:

FIRE IS FAST! In less than 30 seconds a small flame can turn into a major fire. It only takes minutes for thick black smoke to fill a house or for it to be engulfed in flames.

FIRE IS HOT! Heat is more threatening than flames. Room temperatures in a fire can be 100 degrees at floor level and rise to 600 degrees at eye level. Inhaling this super-hot air will scorch your lungs and melt clothes to your skin.

FIRE IS DARK! Fire starts bright, but quickly produces black smoke and complete darkness.

FIRE IS DEADLY! Smoke and toxic gases kill more people than flames do. Fire produces poisonous gases that make you disoriented and drowsy.

With all these, the following are some tips to prevent fire:

Preparation and Planning

  • Make a list of the phone numbers of the nearest fire station and hospital and post it somewhere visible and accessible. Save these numbers to your smartphone as well.
  • Ensure that the fire escape plan is visible and accessible to everyone in the building or house.
  • If possible, have a fire extinguisher always ready.


Good House-keeping Practices

  • Avoid overloading electrical outlets to prevent overheating or fire.
  • Make sure that no cord is being pinched by doors, windows, or furniture to avoid exposing any wiring.
  • Don’t forget to turn off the lights before going to bed or leaving your house.
  • Dispose unnecessary flammable items such as papers, rubbish, and other wastes.
  • Ensure that your LPG tank have safety cap, security seal, and the appropriate hose.


Proper Use of Extension Cord

  • Fully insert the plug of an extension cord into an outlet.
  • Unplug extension cords when not in use.
  • Do not attempt to plug extension cords into one another.
  • Do not attempt to place cords under rug or carpets or in busy areas.
  • Only use extension cords temporarily; permanent wiring should be installed when use of the cords is no longer temporary.


Additional Fire Safety Reminders

  • Do not leave cooking food unattended.
  • Do not leave a lit cigarette or cigar on pipe as it may fall on combustible materials and may start a fire.
  • Do not keep flammable materials inside the house such as gasoline, alcohol, and paint. Keep them in a dry and safe location.


To complete the protection of your house or building, make sure that you have Property Fire Insurance that has a comprehensive coverage against loss or damage caused by fire or lightning and can be extended to cover earthquake, typhoon, flood, other insurable perils, and loss of income from the insured perils. To inquire about Property Fire Insurance, please visit: